Summer is certainly a highlight of the year - long sunny days, plenty of time with friends outdoors and just in general a grand ole time. But between being super busy and the blistering heat, you might feel like you have to sacrifice your usual pretty face to revel in the festivities. Luckily, as it turns out you don’t have to sacrifice a gosh darn thing! You can still look totally pulled together and fabulous if you just remember one simple rule: less is more (especially when it comes to summer makeup). In 4 easy steps you can create a beautiful barely there look that will last all day without weighing you down or worse, making you the victim of a makeup meltdown.
Step 1: Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation
I am a HUGE fan of Josie Maran cosmetics - so chic, so clean and so so amazing to wear! This is a girl after my own heart who believes an eco-friendly, holistic lifestyle can actually be a glamorous way to live. Her line of luxurious natural beauty products is gentle, nontoxic and super sophisticated. The signature ingredient in Josie’s product line is Argan OIl - which seems to be all the rage these days and for good reason too! It moisturizes, balances oily skin, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, reduces redness and repairs sun damage making it the most perfect skin wonder you could ever dream up.
(Photo Courtesy of Josie Maran Cosmetics)
Argan Oil is intensely rich in:
- Antioxidants- which fight free radicals and slow collagen (keeps your skin plump and youthful looking) damage to prevent signs of skin aging (like wrinkles and sunspots).
- Vitamin E - a superpotent antioxidant known to protect and repair the skin. Your body can’t produce this vitamin so incorporating it into your diet/skincare routine is key. And hey, it can even help prevent sunburn making it the perfect addition to any summer beauty regiment.
- Phenols - are only found in plant foods (particularly the skins) such as grapes, oats, blueberries, coffee and herbs. Phenols are especially effective in reducing inflammation in the skin to address issues such as psoriasis, skin rashes, itchy skin and acne.
- Essential Fatty Acids - keep the skin hydrated (by holding water in the cells) for plumper younger looking skin. EFA’s are not produced by the body and must be consumed in your diet/skincare routine - your skin is your largest organ after all! Omega-3 and Omega-6 EFA’s are particularly effective in supporting healthy skin cell turnover and functioning in addition to giving the skin a smoother, healthier appearance.
- Carotene - another powerful antioxidant found in carrots, sweet potatoes, fruits and leafy greens, it prevents skin damage from the sun and reduces sensitivity to UVA rays. Mixed carotenoids (beta-carotene, lutein and lycopene) help improve skin density and thickness.
Josie’s Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation not only contains Argan Oil, but is made with exclusive all natural chameleon pigments that magically adjust to match your skin tone - even when it changes! Want more magic? It suspends over fine lines and wrinkles to smooth out your complexion and correct visible signs of aging. But really in the end, what I love most about this product is its weightless, “feels like I’m wearing nothing” sheer coverage that still somehow manages to make me look great!
*Bonus: add a drop (literally a drop!) of Josie Maran Argan Illuminizer
I love love love this product because it adds a subtle shimmer that keeps makeup looking fresh, natural and super summery to boot! Ultra light with just a hint of bronze, this is the ultimate skin brightener any time you need it. Add a drop to Josie’s Argan Matchmaker Foundation, blend together and apply all over your face using your fingertips, makeup sponge or makeup brush. Now stand back and admire your glowing complexion staring back at you in the mirror.
Step 2: Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape
I must confess, this is my new favorite product - it is SO fabulous and I am really excited to tell you all about it! As the name suggests, just like watercolors this product glides on (yes, it really is that smooth and light) for a sheer, buildable (the more layers you put on, the brighter it gets) pop of color. Bonus: it feels cool as you apply it - perfect for the rising temps of summer. And despite its light, sheer nature, this “blush” is long lasting and stays put for up to 14 hours! Even better? It’s infused with one of my all-time favorite health ingredients - Coconut Water (50% to be exact) making it instantly hydrating and nourishing to your parched summer skin.
*Color selection: I love “Pink Escape” which is a bright cool pink and my all time favorite color for cheeks. Think it’s too bright? Think again! Hot pink on the apples of your cheeks has the uncanny ability to brighten up your entire face and make you instantaneously look more awake. Seriously, it’s amazing. Trust me and try it.
Step 3: Mineral Fusion Lengthening Mascara:
Eyes are admittedly tricky when it comes to the warm (and sweaty) months. For an active summer day, skip the eyeshadow and eyeliner altogether and rely solely on this incredible hypo-allergenic, paraben free mineral mascara to really make your eyes pop. Confession: mascara was the last cosmetic item I swapped when I switched from conventional to all-natural makeup. Why? I simply could not find one I liked - that stayed put and gave me the sultry, “come-hither” lashes I craved.
Then I found this gluten and cruelty free gem of a mascara from Mineral Fusion - a beauty company committed to making natural skincare and cosmetics that leave your skin in BETTER condition than when you started. It manages to define, lengthen and condition lashes with good for you ingredients like beeswax and minerals including magnesium, copper and zinc. It’s artificial color and fragrance free and contains no sulfates (which can irritate the eyes and cause brittle hair/lashes) or phthalates (shown to disrupt hormones and linked to breast tumor cells).
Step 4: Mineral Fusion Liquid Lip Gloss in Heat:
My #1 beauty rule: if you do nothing else, put a little lipstick on before you leave the house. In a single swipe you look instantly more polished and pulled together. These days I favor lip gloss for its high shine, sheer color and a more natural, pretty pout. The #1 reason I love this lip gloss: it’s not sticky (a common complaint in the gloss department)!
It’s made with natural minerals instead of synthetic ingredients and enriched with antioxidant powerhouses like white and red tea, pomegranate and Vitamins C and E which not only keep lips soft and supple, but protect skin from the damaging effects of the sun. Vitamin E fortifies skin cells against free radicals (which ultimately lead to abnormal cell growth and premature aging) while Vitamin C benefits cell and tissue growth to help the skin repair, regenerate and rejuvenate itself.
*Color selection: I love “Heat” because really, the name says it all, doesn’t it? A bright magenta (a cross between hot pink and red), it just screams summer. The sheer formula keeps the color subtle while still adding a pop of color to a simple, clean, fresh summer face. And after all, it’s summertime, so the heat is on!
(1) Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Foundation + (2) Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee + (3) Mineral Fusion Lengthening Mascara + (4) Mineral Fusion Liquid Lip Gloss = an easy, 4 step, fresh summer face! Totally good for you. Super simple. Naturally beautiful.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.